Wednesday, May 27, 2009

BitterSweet

This has been an interesting week. Through the lives of people who work with me, who go to church with me, who I have known in the past or through the families of people I love, there have been six funerals this week with which I have personal connection. One of the funerals was close enough for me to be asked to play a part in the memorial service.

I also had the opportunity to have lunch with a close friend who is facing the unexpected challenge of cancer in her life. What she was expecting was to be enjoying a wedding celebration with the new love in her life. In fact, I am going to be involved in that ceremony. We are just having to plan around cancer decisions and treatments.

So, this sounds like a pretty depressing story. While it might seem that way, it really isn't. It is the story of relationships. It is the bittersweet reality of intimacy. When you are involved in the lives of people it gets messy. In fact, you can count on there being days and weeks like I have just described. I know there are more to come because I have been blessed with a lot of people whom I have loved for a long time. Together we have engaged sweet seasons of life. So, we will inevitably share in some bitter ones. And, I wouldn't have it any other way.

My encouragement to you is to embrace the people in your life to the fullest.
Recognize the gift they are to you. At the same time, realize the gift you are meant to be to them. Life was designed to be a mutual experience, relationship wise. Prepare each day for the part you might need to play. Don't waste a day. Life is too precious. Relationships are too sweet, and yet, bitter sometimes.



No comments: