Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Caveat Emptor

Disclosure is a big thing in our business culture these days so I decided I needed to put a "caveat" on my blog. "Caveat Emptor" is a well worn Latin expression that simply means
"buyer beware". In this case, I am not actually selling you anything tangible. What I am selling you, however, is new thought. I am challenging you to think. I am selling you the vision of personal power and the freedom to choose. I am clearly challenging you to continue to learn and grow as a human being. So, I think it is important that you are given a "caveat" as you read this or any blog I have or ever will write.

If you choose to accept this mission, you will encounter challenges to your success. To borrow a word from Steven Pressfield, you will face "resistance" in your journey toward the creation of anything within you that resembles growth, development, or health. He wrote a little book of philosophy years ago entitled The War of Art if you are interested in exploring his thoughts a little more deeply. Simply put, if you are creating anything new in you or around you, look out!

Recently, I have been reminded of how important this warning is because if you are expecting to have smooth sailing in the creative process it simply is not going to happen. You will face discouragement from within and from without. It will come in forms and from places where you least expect it. It will target your weakest link and it will try to exploit it to its fullest. Don't be surprised by the resistance. It is part of your process.

So, if you are going to get hammered, why even start down that road? It really is a good question. The answer is the alternative is far worse. Choosing to learn and grow and create new and fresh life and thought is choosing to live. Choosing to embrace your status quo and vegetate on thoughts as you have always thought them is choosing to die a slow death before you ever die. Choosing life is better than choosing death except in the most extreme and exceptional circumstances and even that would be a creation all of its own. Thank you, heroes! Thank you, Jesus!

Living life on purpose every day is a choice. It is a choice that will create immediate attention in your world and you should not be surprised by the challenges you will face. Choosing to create something new in life is risky. You might fail. Or, you might succeed and it could change everything. So, the caveat is yours. My encouragement is for you to take the challenge. And, continuing in the spirit of my friend Nick, do well my friends!

No comments: