Wednesday, August 19, 2009

The Responsibility of Presentation


Do you give much thought to how you present things? You will if your read Nudge by Thaler and Sunstein. In this book, the authors do a great job of helping us see how easily people can be influenced simply by the arrangement of things presented to them. In the midst of reading this book, I began to think about the subtle balance between influence and manipulation. It has also caused me to think about how I go about presenting things passionately and yet responsibly.

To begin with, I do believe it is important to be reminded of the power we all have as human beings. We have the power to influence the choices of others simply by the way we communicate ourselves to them. It happens everyday. It is happening to us and we are happening to others. I don't believe most people believe they have that kind of influence but the truth is always there in potential. So, on one hand, it is a terrific thing to realize. I have power to influence. So, how am I using it or am I using it at all?

You see, I believe the realization prompts both opportunity and responsibility. I have the opportunity to influence people every single day in some way. I can influence the way they think and the choices they make simply through they way I present myself and my thoughts. It would seem then that clarity becomes pretty important. Am I influencing people with confidence and purpose? It gives me reason to give more thought to the way I approach each day. I have great potential in everyday and I can't afford to waste it because of personal confusion.

At the same time, I have significant responsibility for what and how I present. Manipulation happens when I remove the freedom of choice from others because of the way I present. So, on one hand, I have the responsibility to present my passion and convictions about products or services or thoughts because they deserve to be heard. People don't know what or how I think unless I present it to them. At the same time, what they think needs to be respected and protected in the process. There really is an art to achieving that delicate balance.

So, take the time to think about your presentation today. Make it with passion and purpose. Present others with the opportunity to hear your perspective. It can change the choices they make so approach them and life responsibly. Just give them a nudge. Help them choose. Do well!


To comment on this blog, click on the COMMENTS link located directly below. I would love to hear your thoughts!

2 comments:

Wes Avants said...

Thanks for your insightful application from the book, Nudge. I agree that the line between manipulation and helpful guidence is one not too easily discerned. I know I have far too often crossed that line "in the name of doing good" but with the result of devaluing another's right to make their own choices. And this is especially challenging for those of us whose career involves any form of marketing.
Thanks for the encouragment to think!
Wes Avants

Anonymous said...

I would have adamently denied being a "manipulator" but after dwelling on the slight line that separates manipulation from influence I know I've crossed over more times than I like. For me the balance needs to be finding a way to stay passionate about my beliefs and yet still communicate respectfully and in a safe way to the people I'm speaking with. Allen, thanks for pointing out the difference!

Terri Morrison