Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Creating Memories

This week we are celebrating the eighteenth birthday of my grandaughter, Savannah. During a celebration meal, my wife, Barbara, asked the family to share with Savannah "18" memories from her first eighteen years. It was pretty amazing to listen to how quickly we were able to remember and rehearse together "Savannah moments". We laughed. We held back some tears. It was a really special evening. Savannah is a blessing to our lives to say the very least. She is a gift.

I couldn't help thinking in the midst of that experience how important it is to live life with purposed intention to create memories. Think about what eighteen, or twenty-five, or fifty-seven memories people could remember about you and your life. I am convinced that to not live life memorably is a waste. What do you think? I think I have wasted too much.

So, if we are going to live memorable lives, it seems to me that things might have to change. To begin with, it will be important to get started. I don't think it is ever too late to create memories. You can't do anything about what you have already not done. The past is just that, it is past. You can choose to begin now. You can have a new beginning and create memories the world around you will celebrate.

I also think it will be important not to take yourself too seriously. I have learned that from my grandaughter. In some ways she has the insecurities of any teenager. But, in more ways, she is a free spirit. She loves to laugh. She doesn't mind people laughing with her or even sometimes at her. She does some bizarre things just to see if she can do it. Like, creating her own language and convincing a store clerk that it was legitimate just to see if she could. I have never come close to doing anything like that in my life. I might have to give it a try.

If we are going to create memories, we really are going to have to seize moments. Awareness of opportunity in a moment is significant. Moments do present themselves. Being ready to grab them, create in them, and live in them is the key. Intention is everything.

Bob Hope use to sing, "thanks for the memories". I hope someday people will be able to sit around a table and think about some "Allen moments". I am going to do my best to create some they won't forget. How about you? Do well, my friends.

No comments: