Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Choices, Choices, Choices

It is clearly the season for making choices. Who gets what gift? How much can we spend? Where will we celebrate Christmas and with whom? And, on, and on, it goes. In reality, choices are with us year round. It starts with big questions like, what time will I face the day? What will I wear? What do I do first? How do I prioritize the day? What, when, and where will I eat? Where will I find a job? Questions are always with us. Having to constantly answer them gets old.

At the same time, having questions to ask and answer represents the reality of living in freedom. There are people in this world who don't have many questions to ask nor do they have the freedom to answer those they have. Eating isn't a matter of where or when, but if. Where do I work or where do I get a job is irrelevant because there is no economy producing the opportunity for answering them. Where do I celebrate Christmas or any holiday representative of faith is not respected.

So, having questions to answer in life is really a good thing. It is kind of like pain. On one hand, you get weary of it. On the other hand, without the reality of it in your life you are probably at risk on some level.

There is one choice we all share as human beings. It is a power that cannot be taken from us. We have the power to choose how we will respond to any life circumstance. Having the power to choose is our birthright. We were endowed with it through the power and love of a Creator. We should never abdicate that power. In fact, it is something we should always celebrate. In reality, Christmas is an explanation and a celebration of that choice we share. It is meant for everyone. Do well, my friends. And, have a merry Christmas!

No comments: