Wednesday, January 13, 2010

How Customers Choose


For years, I have communicated a definition of selling that I believe best represents this noble profession. Selling is mastering the art and the science of influencing the thinking of people in such a way as to help them choose. I stand by this definition, and many have chosen to embrace it for themselves. This past week I have given additional thought to how people choose. My thought has been prompted by a new book from Kevin Maney called Trade Off.

Maney suggests that customers make a choice by making a "trade off" between the fidelity or unique quality of the product, and convenience, the unique delivery of the product. His insights have allowed me to explore the trade off customers have to make in order to choose my products and services. It has been a really healthy exercise for me because of his definition of fidelity, a unique product carrying an "aura" and "dynamic" about it that sets it apart from other offerings and which causes people to trade off the convenience factor for the experience. I realized in a fresh way that I really am asking for people to make that trade off for much of what I do.

In my case, it translates to representing an experience for my clients through speaking, training, and/or coaching services that far outreaches the convenience of distance training through some technological means. That is not to suggest that I am free to ignore convenience in the process. It is my conviction that people will not receive the same effect if they don't have the personal experience I provide. Maney is suggesting thay you simply will not be able to master and represent them both as some kind of unique value proposition. And, I think I agree with him.

He proposes that those who try to master both fall into what he calls the "fidelity belly" and will eventually be lost in the process. In thinking back to many examples of business failings that I can personally relate to, I think he has a point. If you do not represent a unique mastery on one side or the other, the customer will simply not value your presentation enough to hang around.

I recommend the read to you. I also encourage you to give some honest thought to your uniqueness as a professional, personally. I really believe customers, however you define them, are looking for something impressive to buy into. Employers stand as customers when they are shopping for employees. You will have to impress them with your uniqueness and with your convenience, availability wise. However, I believe people pay more for what impresses them most. Make your own application. Do well, my friends!

No comments: