Wednesday, December 1, 2010

For Whom Are You Thankful?

I am writing this blog on Thanksgiving Day. It is early in the morning and I am enjoying a little quiet time for reflection. When I begin to think about all of the things for which I am thankful I realize how long the list really is. I also believe, at least for me this year, it isn't the right question. It isn't "things" that occupy my mind on this meaningful day. It is the people in my world. It is how my story has played out over a lifetime with and through others.

I have to begin with the most significant Other of all. The One who created me. I am thankful for who I am because of His design. He placed me in this world through people who loved me at a specific time and in a specific place. I am also thankful for who He is continuing to make me to be through His love. It all begins with Him.

I was blessed with natural parents who loved me and who provided and protected me. I am also mindful of all of the other people who were associate parents in my life. They contributed so much to who I know I am today. Their signature is all over my life.

I think about the circle of friends I have in my life today. The circle extends all all over the world and yet I know the circle begins with the love of my life. Barbara and I have been together as best friends and in a marriage for over 40 years. She is really the genesis for most, if not all, of my relationships today. Through her, I met people who introduced me to others who introduced me to others and on and on the story goes. I am so thankful for our story.

As you can see, I am a thankful man. I hope you are thinking through a thankful heart today. If not, spend some time thinking about the people in your life. Think about your origins. Think about the story that has been written through Him, and you, and them. Then, think about the story yet to be written. It really is a humbling and exciting thing. Be blessed, my friends.

No comments: