Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Know Yourself

Life is all about relationships. For the most part, I believe people are conscious of how important relationship to people is to their quality of life but how about the relationship they have with themselves? How good a friend are you to yourself? How well do you treat you? I believe many, if not most, people live unconscious of even having an active relationship with themselves. On the surface it might sound a little funny but the truth is the kind relationship you have with you will determine the kind of relationship you will know with others.

I embrace a faith in the God who said, "Love the Lord your God with all of your heart, soul, mind, and strength. And, love your neighbor as you love yourself." Two things are vital to me in this direction for life. To begin with, I am not God. It is just as important to know yourself for what you aren't as for what you are. I know I am not God. I believe their is one God who is holy and who is love. I believe in the explanation Jesus represented in that regard. As a result, I do not believe life begins with me. I believe it begins with Him.

Secondly, I believe I have to love myself before I can ever really love others. I begin with a love for God and then I move to others, through the the love He directs me to have for myself. And, that brings me to the kind of relationship I have with me. The way I treat myself is a direct reflection upon my recognition and love of God and it is the defining reality as to my respect and love for others. I believe the same is true for you.

So, spend some time thinking about it this week. I hope you have already taken time to listen to my podcast. It is entitled, Take Care of Yourself. Begin with your opinion of you. You will have to face the reality of your opinion of God. Then, you will be ready to build healthier relationship with others. It is a great time to begin again. Think Easter! Do well, my friends!

No comments: