Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Reinvention

Over ten years ago, Tom Peter's, among others, suggested that in the first 25 years of the 21st century we would see 90% of all white collar American jobs disappear. I remember thinking then that he was probably overstating things a bit. Now, I recognize that if anything it was an understatement. We simply aren't able to be comfortable with skills that created opportunity for us yesterday. We are constantly in need of reinvention.


And yet, that sets up a real challenge. What if we were never really invented to begin with? What if we are actually the invention of someone else? I mean what if we have simply been following old patterns all of our lives. When I was growing up, I wanted to throw the football like Johnny Unitas. I wanted to hit the baseball like Mickey Mantle. I wanted to play tennis like John Newcombe. Do you see a pattern? I didn't mention that when I was really little I wanted to be like Roy Rogers. Now, I am not suggesting that having heroes and role models in life is all wrong. I am just suggesting that it is something that children do and that to continue to model our lives and work after others can become childish. And, in this day and time, it can become dangerous.


I think it is important for us to work at inventing ourselves. This is a great time to make it happen. It doesn't mean you have to change jobs. It just means you choose to change within the job. Invent yourself again for the first time. Become what you know you can become. Make it something remarkable. I hope you take time to listen to the clip I have posted for you this week. I caught a moment with Tom Peters when he was really on target in this very regard. Listen to what he has to say and be inspired to do something.


Reinvention is tough. Because it requires you to let go of someone you may be really fond of in order to go on to become someone you haven't met yet. There is risk involved. What if no one wants your newly invented you? It is possible. However, what you will have gained in the process will make the next version of you incredible. The point is, keep growing. Keep learning. Keep stretching. Keep reaching forward to the next possibility. It really is exciting to think about. Do it on purpose!

To comment on this blog, click on the COMMENTS link located directly below. I would love to hear your thoughts!

No comments: