Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Choosing Peace

"I want to find some peace". I have heard it many times. In fact, I have said it many times. What if, however, peace is not something you find like some kind of a treasure? What if, in reality, it is something you choose? What if the choice we make to embrace peace involves change? I believe the greatest challenge in knowing peace is found in changing what you think you know about it.


I am reading The Anatomy of Peace, by The Arbinger Institute. It is a follow up of sorts to their wonderful work entitled, Leadership and Self Deception. I highly recommend them both. Both books serve to help you understand the power you have through the choices you make. And, I couldn't agree more.


I want to provide insight from a different vantage point. Scripture teaches that we are to "love God and love your neighbor as you love yourself". I embrace a faith that takes it to another level. Jesus said, "love one another as I have loved you". And so, it all begins with how you love. By beginning with a love for God, you recognize your interdependent relationship with the One who created you. You don't begin with you. I think I spend most of my time getting off to a start that is self-defeating by beginning with myself.


Then, through eyes of recognition and love for God, you see the people in your world through those same eyes of love. You don't see them comparatively. You don't see them as obstacles to be gotten through. You don't see them competitively. You see them with clear intention to love them.


And, then, you love yourself. In fact, it is the quality of your relationship with you that dictates the peace you will know. Your love of God and your love of others flows from the love you have for yourself. Seeing yourself as one who is loved by your Creator is your anchor. You love others because you are first loved.


Jesus took things to another level by explaining sacrificial love. He taught us to love our enemies. He taught us to serve others by washing their feet. He showed us that you can love others enough to die for them.


Peace and love seem to be tied together. I believe peace is a choice. In reality, I believe it is the product of a choice. Choosing a lifestyle of love is the primary choice. Love your God. Love your neighbor. Love yourself. Serve others in love. Do well, my friends. Peace.

1 comment:

Jon Benfer said...

Allen,

Thanks for reading The Anatomy of Peace and for blogging about it! You might be interested in the Arbinger Community, and especially the Coaches group there. It's a great place to get together with others looking to learn Arbinger's language and put it to use in their lives.

Jon Benfer
Director
Global Coaching Services
The ARBINGER Institute