Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Don't Stretch To Far!

Today, I went out to play softball with a few guys from the church I attend. They are all younger than I am. I know it is probably not smart but I am doing it anyway. During practice, I stretched out to catch a ball and I lost my balance and fell. I made the play but I paid the price. The bloody knee does not hurt nearly as badly as what might be a cracked rib. While I am nursing my wounds, I am thinking about what I might have learned.

The truth is I stretched beyond my ability to perform. I found myself off balance and I fell. Life is like that. Staying centered and not reaching beyond yourself is critical to living a healthy and successful life. Take note of the fact that I am not saying don't stretch. I am just saying don't over reach and lose your sense of balance.

Knowing who you are and what your capacity is keeps you prepared to live a responsive life. Tying to impress others will not serve you well. Neither will allowing others to define you. Being at peace with where you are in life provides you with great freedom. You are free to be who you are, right where you are, because you are.

So, keep your feet on the ground and live the life you have been given to live. Stay thankful for the life you are prepared to live. It is enough and you are enough. Be aware of those who would tell you otherwise. They probably would enjoy watching you fall. I hope I am learning it. Do well, my friends

No comments: